Modern combat is chaotic, intense, and shockingly destructive. In your first battle, you will experience the confusing and often terrifying sights, sounds, smells, and dangers of the battlefield-but you must learn to survive and win despite them.
- You could face a fierce and relentless enemy.
- You could be surrounded by destruction and death.
- Your leaders and fellow soldiers may shout urgent commands and warnings.
- Rounds might impact near you.
- The air could be filled with the smell of explosives and propellant.
- You might hear the screams of a wounded comrade.
However, even in all this confusion and fear, remember that you are not alone. You are part of a well-trained team, backed by the most powerful combined arms force, and the most modern technology in the world. You must keep faith with your fellow Soldiers, remember your training, and do your duty to the best of your ability. If you do, and you uphold your Warrior Ethos, you can win and return home with honor.
This is the Soldier’s FM. It tells the Soldier how to perform the combat skills needed to survive on the battlefield. All Soldiers, across all branches and components, must learn these basic skills. Noncommissioned officers (NCOs) must ensure that their Soldiers receive training on–and know-these vital combat skills.